Masterpage Code Behind and Class Libraries

Aug 21, 2008 at 11:23 AM
Edited Aug 22, 2008 at 2:27 PM
Well are enough links about creating Custom Site Templates but I always miss the option of supporting code behind. Yours does, thank you!

Because I also needed a code behind for my custom master page I trialed around and this works now too. Steps involved:

1. Create a new class  '_master' which derives from class 'MasterPage'
2. Add to the master aspx page the following: Inherits="[YourNameSpace]._master"

I also needed support for custom class libraries. It first did not work but later I noticed I had to set output build path point to the 'Assemblies' folder of de deployment solution. I don't know if this is the right solution but it works. And of course I had to add these assemblies to the 'ManifestTemplate.xml'

I also like to add to this posting the following problems with their solution when trying to build/run it for the very first time:

~ Problem
Upon running 'deploy.cmd' the script shows errors like 'The timer job for this operation has been created, but it will fail ...'

Solution:
Goto the Administrative Tools and open Services. Probably Service 'Windows SharePoint Services Administration' isn't running. Start it and you are advised to set property 'Startup Type' to 'Automatic'.

~ Problem
The SharePoint Worker Process Group ... job failed with the following error.  This job will be skipped. Failed to connect
 to an IPC Port: Access is denied.

Solution:
When you start the 'Windows SharePoint Services Administration' service for the very first time you probably have forgotten to restart your SharePoint machine.

~ Problem
Errors during creation of a new site in SharePoint based on your freshly made Custom Site Template (for example the Masterpage cannot be found).

Solution:
I noticed sometimes deployment problems occur when having a WSP Project Template based Solution open and running repeatedly the deployment scripts (like 'deploy.cmd'). Close everything and rerun deployment scripts.

Yours sincerely,

Evert Wiesenekker